Healthy Lifestyle Ideas

Thursday, June 9, 2016

Healing Plantar Fasciitis

Stretch your calf and hamstring muscles by doing the stretches in the photos. Below I explain how I do the stretch upon first getting out of bed in the morning.
Image result for picture of lunges with leg stretched outImage result for sitting leg stretchesImage result for sitting leg stretches
I first wrote about plantar fasciitis back in 2013 when I thought I was healed, but it came back and has continued to plague me off and on now for four years. It has even switched from my left foot to my right. But mine does get better when I do the following:

     *Upon getting out of bed in the morning and before doing anything else, I turn around and stretch my calf and hamstring muscles by doing lunges, while leaning on my bed. I face my bed, resting both arms on it and the stretch out my leg behind me, with my foot flat on the floor, stretching until I feel a nice calf/hamstring muscle stretch. I stretch both legs, alternating, before taking my first step of the day. My plantar fasciitis feels like pins and needles in my heels so I stretch and hold the position while feeling the stretch all the way to my heels. The longer I hold it, the better the relief will be when I stand up and walk. Then throughout the day I do a combination of the stretches as shown above.

In my 2013 blog post, I mentioned an incline board that I first used in a physical therapist office. The board helps but isn't so easy to take on trips or convenient to use when at work, etc. Simple lunges is something I can do several times a day, or as needed.

It was interesting to me to go back and re-read my post back in 2013 when I was wondering "why did this happen to me?", and it still frustrates me to read about my doctor visits and how nothing was helping until I learned the importance of stretching the calf and hamstring muscles. So, I hope this will help some of the plantar fasciitis sufferers out there.  Best wishes for freedom from the pain of this horrible condition!

No comments: