Healthy Lifestyle Ideas

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Breakfast Frittata

I love quiche, but for a quick breakfast, a frittata is the way to go!  It's easy to prepare, cooks quickly and is absolutely delicious! The main difference between a quiche and a frittata is that the quiche has a bottom crust and has to bake 30-45 minutes. The frittata cooks very quickly, 9 or 10 minutes total, but sets up and serves as beautifully as a quiche.

I used duck eggs in this fritatta (because I have ducks), but it's usually made with chicken eggs. Frittatas can be as varied as the ingredients you have in your frig. I happened to have some breakfast sausage (left over), onion, a little spinach, fresh cilantro and grated cheese. The variety of the add-in's you can use is endless. Put in what you normally would like to have on an omelet  The only precooking I did on this particular frittata was to sautee' the onions until they were translucent. While sauteing the onions in a little olive oil, I preheated the oven to 400 degrees and got the rest of the ingredients.





For chicken eggs, you want to use at least 6 extra large eggs or up to 7-8 smaller eggs.  I whisked the eggs with a splash of milk and added a little salt & pepper. There needs to be enough of the egg mixture to make the frittata as thick as a slice of quiche. I added the egg mixture to my pan of sauteing onions, and crumbled in the sausage, chopped spinach and cilantro. One quick stir of all the ingredients and then I sprinkled on the cheese and let it set for about 4 minutes on med. low heat until the egg mixture was slightly set on the bottom (doesn't move around much on the edges but is still runny on top). You don't stir any more after the initial stir because you want it to begin to 'set up'.  Then the pan is placed into the hot oven for just another 5 minutes or until it's set on top (doesn't jiggle around). And you're done! So quick! Remember to use a pot holder to get the pan out of the oven!


The result was a quick, delicious frittata and my family & I absolutely loved it! The leftovers (if there ever are any) also make a wonderful lunch too. Hope you try a frittata soon. Let me know how you liked it.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Looks delicious,I've made a few with leftovers and always enjoy them.
Hugs