Healthy Lifestyle Ideas

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Ducks at 8 Wks

It's Gertrude and Evie and they're so beautiful. I'm pretty confident I have two females so I finally named them. They both quack really loud when they're calling me, and I've read that males are supposed to be quieter than the females. So hopefully I've got 2 future egg layers. Ducks can lay around 200 eggs a year.

I've spent a lot of time outside with the ducks over the past 2 months because they feel so vulnerable when they're alone. They can't fly and they don't have teeth so their predators include cats, raccoon, weasels, hawks, coyotes, fox, and snakes.  When I let them out of their cage in the morning to forage for vegetation, bugs and worms, they'll spend the entire day hiding under their cage if I'm not right there keeping an eye on them. So I've spent many hours outside, getting a good tan and reading. Like a long extended vacation!

1 comment:

(Queenmothermamaw) Peggy said...

Cindy Rose the Geese Keeper. These are so beautiful. Such loving care you give them.
QMM