Healthy Lifestyle Ideas

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Great Homemade Bread Recipe

Who doesn't love fresh baked bread? I've been counting carbs for years and limiting my bread intake, however I finally decided to start eating whole grain bread because I enjoy it so much. I'd rather work out and still be able to enjoy a sandwich whenever I want. Life without a sandwich is sad :(.  I got the following bread recipe from a friend that mills her own wheat. I haven't committed to buying my own flour mill yet, but I found unbleached, organic and no preservative flour in the store and bought a  bread machine to help out. I've made several loaves now and my family and I are loving it! The only bad thing is that I love to spread Irish butter on my hot, fresh out of the oven slice.  Thanks for the recipe Mary!

Today I made the bread using 3 cups of white and 1 1/2 cups of wheat. I know I should use only whole wheat, but my kids love the taste of white bread.

I unplugged the machine after the dough cycle was done mixing and it continued to rise to the top in the warmth of the bread machine.

I took it out of the bread machine pan, lightly kneaded it and divided it into 2 loaf pans. I then cover the pans with a clean kitchen towel and let them rise an additional 20-30 minutes. Now they're ready for baking.






Here's the recipe:

Put ingredients into a bread maker in the following order and set on dough setting. After the dough mixing cycle is over, unplug the bread maker and let the dough continue to rise in the bread machine until it reaches the top of the pan. Remove and knead lightly. Divide dough into 2 loaves, cover and let rise 20 minutes. Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 30 minutes or until done.

Basic Bread Recipe (Makes 2 loaves)
1 1/2 cups hot water
1/2 cup oil (1/3 cup if you use an egg)
1/4 cup honey
2 tsp. salt
Then add the following
4 1/2 cups freshly milled flour
1 tbsp. yeast



Here's how the loaf looked when it came out of the oven. It's a delicious basic bread recipe and the smell of it baking fills the house with the most wonderful aroma. It drives my kids crazy, waiting for it to be done. 








No comments: