Healthy Lifestyle Ideas

Monday, September 26, 2011

Watermelon Rind Preserves

Well, I spent the better part of a day following the recipe for Watermelon Rind Preserves from the Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving and here's a picture of the final product. Looks more like pickles don't you think? I chose not to add red food coloring to make it look like watermelon flesh because it's not made of the flesh - it's made of the rind, after-all.  And the final word on how it tastes..... 'I  don't like it.' was all I heard and I agree - and I'm a fruit preserve lover (I even love pepper jelly and cactus jams). But I don't care for this at all. Now, what am I going to do with 6 jars of this stuff?  They have a pickle like texture and there's just not enough of a watermelon flavor.  Actually I can't taste any watermelon flavor in it, just sugar syrup with flavorings from the lemon and ginger. Any ideas on how to use up these preserves?

4 comments:

Cherie said...

No ideas on how to use it but good for you for giving it a try! I admire that. Dilly beans are great though. Super love those. Have a blessed week.

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

oh wow, I didn't know you could preserve watermelon rind. That's too bad you didn't like it...all that work. I couldn't begin to give you tips, I've never tried preserving anything, although I want to learn.

Deb S. said...

Just found your blog through BlissAngels. Gald to be following you!

Deb S. said...

Just found your blog through BlissAngels. Gald to be following you!