Healthy Lifestyle Ideas

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Pumpkin and Watermelon Havested the Same Week

It was really strange to be gathering up watermelon and pumpkin from my garden the same week. I must have planted the pumpkin too early and the watermelon too late!  Today  I'm  making watermelon rind preserves so I can make this final watermelon of the season last into the fall. The first step to making the preserves took a while because I had to peel and cut the rind up small 1" pieces and now those pieces are soaking in salt water (a 5 hr soak). I can't wait to taste the final product. I've never tried watermelon rind preserves before. Hope it's good.




I had on a few small sugar pumpkins to harvest. I haven't had much luck growing them organically. It was a big disappointment.  But I took my small harvest & immediately cooked the pumpkins, made a couple of pies and froze the rest.

No comments: