Healthy Lifestyle Ideas

Saturday, February 12, 2011

2011 Garden Plans

I woke up today thinking that I've got to get going preparing the soil for my vegetable garden. Being a relatively new gardener, I still feel unsure about the timing of adding fertilizer and lime. I added the lime a couple of months ago, just broadcast spreading it around, and the other day I noticed that it's still sitting on top of the soil. I thought it would have dissolved by now. Now I want to add fertilizer so it'll be blended into the soil for my early spring plantings next month. But I'm wondering if it's better to go ahead and get it down now or wait closer to planting time since the cow manure I get from Home Depot has been shelved for some time and probably isn't considered 'hot' anymore. I'll be planting lettuces, sugar snap peas, spinach and broccoli to start. And this year, I've got to figure out a way to prevent the deer from eating all of the fruit from my trees. When we moved in 3 1/2 yrs. ago, I planted 2 fig trees, 2 peach, 1 pomegranate, 2 pear and an apricot tree. The only fruit the deer left alone last year were the figs and pomegranate. I hung strong smelling soap all around the branches, but that didn't work. This year I'll try placing chicken wire all around the ground underneath the trees to see if that'll prevent them from walking up to the trees. Hopefully they won't like stepping on the chicken wire. I'm looking forward to getting started...but my lower back isn't!

1 comment:

Mina said...

I love planning for springtime jobs around the yard! Which reminds me, I'd better get started.